Developed by the State Department for Gender in partnership with UN Women Kenya, the SDG- 5 Strategy on Gender Equality and Empowerment of all Women and Girls (2020-2025) highlights actions to be undertaken to position Kenya on the fastest and most reliable trajectory for the achievement of SDG-5.
Building on the country’s experience and lessons learnt in the transition between implementation of the Millennium Development Goals to the Sustainable Development Goals, the strategy underlines 9 broad strategic areas of focus which include:
- Strengthening policy, legislative and institutional frameworks.
- Socioeconomic empowerment.
- Leadership and decision-making.
- Gender mainstreaming in policies and budgets.
- Elimination of gender-based violence.
- Elimination of harmful practices.
- Access to sexual and reproductive health.
- Gendered research, data collection and analysis.
- Coordination and Stakeholder Engagement.
The Strategy was developed through a consultative approach that involved participation of a wide range of stakeholders. Under the overall coordination of the State Department for Gender, various stakeholders are responsible for the implementation of the strategy which will be in line with Kenya’s Intergovernmental Framework on Gender.